Thursday 22 October 2015

Cresswell Kingfisher

Today it was sunny, but windy and cold along the coast between Cresswell and East Chevington. The beach at Cresswell was busier with dogs and walkers than birds.

The track to the hides at Druridge Pools was very quiet; in fact I saw only one tweet, a Dunnock. The Budge Field was initially devoid of visible ducks, until a female Sprawk unsettled a few Teals. A small group of Canada Geese, a Heron and a few gulls were the only other birds in evidence. A single large Hawker Dragonfly was active in spite of the strong wind.

The view from the Oddie Hide was more interesting. Mallards, Teals, Tufties, Gadwalls, Little Grebes, Mute Swans and a single Goldeneye. A Redshank was busily catching small fish in front of the hide. On my return to the car I saw several butterflies, only one close enough to be sure it was a Speckled Wood. A female Kestrel hunted around the top of the track.

Near the entrance to the pools a charm of Goldfinches mixed with Tree Sparrows, but remained largely in the cover of the dense shrubbery.

Having seen small three geese flocks join and fly north, I headed to East Chevington to see if I could find them grazing, but no joy.

I finished the day at Cresswell Pond, where I saw a Kingfisher, only my second sighting for this site. It landed on the fence between the main pool and the north extension, dived twice and then disappeared whilst I was not looking.

There were 72 Curlews and 83 Lapwings along with Redshanks and Dunlins. A Water Rail put on a brief show, preening at the edge of the reeds. There was a flock of Widgeons that I didn’t count and a smattering of the usual duck species.


Three guys in the hide were bemoaning the absence of Snipe. Guess what seven of landed seconds after they left? Just as I was leaving a small group of Pink Feet headed south west.

No comments:

Post a Comment